Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Don't Give Up

From: dsilver@panix.com (David Silver)
Date: 7 Aug 1993 00:12:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Don't Give Up
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9308061934.AA03400@hivnet.ubc.ca> Andrea@hivnet.ubc.ca writes:

>Since it has come up....

>I like Don't Give Up, but when I first heard it I remember thinking how mis-
>matched Kate and Peter's vocals seemed.  The engineering on them seemed
>completely different.  Peter's seemed very grounded, very in-the-room-ish and
>then in the chorus Kate comes in like an angel in a cloud.  I've since
>gotten used to it and don't see (hear) the discrepancy so much any more.

>Does anyone else notice this?

If it is your opinion that Kate and Peter's vocals are somehow mismatched,
this is an aesthetic criticism and you are entitled to it.  As far as
engineering is concerned, it is certainly not unusual to have quite
different engineering methods in a case like this; in fact from the way
you describe it, it makes sense.  Peter sings the verses, a plea from a
downtrodden working man (in the roomish), and Kate comes in on the choruses
(like an angel) to lift his spirits with hope.  Sounds good to me.
--
     Dave                     \   "You've got spunk.  I HATE SPUNK!"    /