Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Video question for the experts

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 93 21:36 MET DST
Subject: Video question for the experts
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hiya,

I have a problem identifying a Kate video I recently got. I cite Andy's
GARDEN02 file (his video et al list):

     4. Wuthering Heights: the first of two Top of the Pops
performances of this song, February 16, 1978. She is dressed in a black
top, red slacks and black stiletto heels. I have never seen this clip.

    12. Wuthering Heights: Kate sang this live to a backing vocal; on
the German TV programme Scene 78. From April 1978. The KT Bush Band
does not appear. Kate makes less of an attempt to convey her dance
movements in this performance than she does in the Bio's Bahnhof
performance. Her vocal delivery is noticeably more assured, also, and a
slight reverb effect adds greatly to the success. She is dressed in a
black dress, and her make-up is more unassuming than on earlier the
earlier German television appearances.

The video I have just LOOKS like entry number 12 (black dress, no KT Bush
band, sung live (no lip-synch), more assured than the Bio's Bahnhof version
etc. But there are three points that lets me assume that it is entry number
4. First, there's a subtitle in the beginning that states 'from Top of the
Pops 78'. Second, the applause at the end of the song does not 'sound'
German. German TV stations tend not to switch on the applause tape at the
end of a song. The applause sounds more 'real' (that does not state that
it is real) in German shows. Third, there's an English host (unfortunately
cut off after two words) at the end of the clip (not after the clip). It
is more normal to use a clip you have in your own archive than using something
from somewhere else.

The second Top of the Pops appearance with Wuthering Heights is described
as Kate wearing a white dress etc, that is definitively not true with my clip
here.

Andy, if you are reading this, can you ask the IED person in you where
you got your description of entries number 4 and 12?

Anyone else who knows better than me: What do I have here?

Bye,

Uli