Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Stev0 eats the music

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu (some cool guy from the internet)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 00:19:26 EDT
Subject: Re: Stev0 eats the music
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin) sez:
>The highlight (besides IED's wonderful Kate Jeopardy game) was, of course,
>getting to hear those four cuts from the upcoming album.

many thanks to vickie for playing the three new songs for the new jersey
KaTemas Krew over the speakerphone for us. unfortunately, the aspel video
had not arrived in my mailbox at that time (came in on monday, folks...)
so these new songs were the highlight for our gathering (unless you count
the marvy seedcake that greg cooked up).

>Moments of Pleasure:  WOW!  Unbelievable!  Cross "Blow Away" with "The Fog",
>then give it the power of "This Woman's Work" and "Under the Ivy".  This
>has the potential to become my favorite Kate song!

i was duly unimpressed by this the first time that i heard it (which was an
audio dub of a master video dub). however, after seeing the aspel perfor-
mance, i'm becoming to like the song more though i still do not consider it
great. it's not just a sound quality thing either. i'll not quibble that the
song packs an emotional wallop, but it's not too impressive musically.

>Eat the Music:  A silly (and I don't mean that as a compliment OR an insult)
>little number, it sounds kind of like a Paul Simon song.  The sad part is that
>Paul Simon could actually have done it better.

yup. it's a salsa-tinted tune which seems to be even more bandwagon hopping
than _rhythm of the saints_ or _graceland_. where "rocketman" could be con-
sidered to use some reggae influences, "eat the music" is more like KaTe
singing for a carribean pop band. again, it's kinda fun, but it's not very
interesting musically.

>Rubberband Girl:  MMmmm, Yes!  Kate's most dancable song to date!  If you
>don't like ANYTHING That Funny Symbol Guy has done, you'll hate this song.

well, i like some of prince's more innovative (or, alternatively, some of
his less obviously commercial efforts) work, but i can't say that this one
is particularly either. it's danceable, but that's about it. some inter-
esting vocal effects though. probably the best song of the lot.

>That other song who's name I forget:  A throwaway.  Not a bad song, but not
>one of her better efforts.  Kind of ranks with "Walk Straight Down the
>Middle".  Clapton seems to have wandered in from another song.

on par with "walk straight down the middle"?!? egads! that was one of my
favorite tracks from the last album, of which it was not even officially
part of! "walk straight down the middle" is a brilliant piece of work
where this new song (the name of which i've forgotten too) is a syrupy
ballad that's completely tossable. there's *no* comparison. period.

_O_ woj@remus.rutgers.edu - with a kiss, i pass the key. feel your tongue...