Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Video question for the experts

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 11:55:16 GMT
Subject: Re: Video question for the experts
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: UseNet News Admin <cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk>

In article <m0oN5g8-000NiXC@zoodle.robin.de>, uli@zoodle.robin.de
(Ulrich Grepel) writes:

> The video I have just LOOKS like entry number 12 (black dress, no KT Bush
> band, sung live (no lip-synch), more assured than the Bio's Bahnhof version
> etc. But there are three points that lets me assume that it is entry number
> 4. First, there's a subtitle in the beginning that states 'from Top of the
> Pops 78'. Second, the applause at the end of the song does not 'sound'
> German. German TV stations tend not to switch on the applause tape at the
> end of a song. The applause sounds more 'real' (that does not state that
> it is real) in German shows. Third, there's an English host (unfortunately
> cut off after two words) at the end of the clip (not after the clip). It
> is more normal to use a clip you have in your own archive than using something
> from somewhere else.

This sounds a lot like her second TotP appearance (can't remember
exact date), which was shown on BBC's "Sounds of the 70s" show a few
months ago. I think this one can be identified from a lack of guitar
(noticable at the end) and the occasional bum note from the piano.
Also Kate is standing on a circular or semicircular podium, and
there's a guy in the audience right in front of her with white or very
pale blond frizzy hair.

> The second Top of the Pops appearance with Wuthering Heights is described
> as Kate wearing a white dress etc, that is definitively not true with my clip
> here.

Who describes it thus? This is definitely wrong.

--
Scott Telford, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,        <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK. (+44 31 650 5978)