Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: USENET News System <news@indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 18:59:05 -0500
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: mcjenkin@gauss.. (mcjenkin)
Subject: Re: Question.
Sender: news@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 23:59:01 GMT

Irgendwo in der Tiefe writes
..^... sorcery@maple.circa.ufl.edu writes:
..^...
..^... >Disk, and upon calling one place, they said they had a laser disk
..^... >entitled "Hair of the Hound."  Does anyone know what exactly this
is?
..^... >I have never heard of it.
..^...
..^... >Thanx in advance!
..^...
..^... This is the 4 videos from _Hounds of Love_: Running Up That Hill,
Big
..^... Sky, Hounds of Love, Cloudbusting.  It's also probably non-NTSC
(not
..^... compatible with North American video gear); at least I don't
*think*
..^... any NTSC ones were pressed.  Fortunately, all of the material is
also
..^... available on _The Whole Story_ laserdisk, so if you've already got
it
..^... or are getting it the issue is moot.
..^...
Not to be disagreeable but...
	"Hair of the Hound" probably IS NTSC.  Most laserdiscs are - It's
rare to find a PAL LD since the LD format is unpopular in the U.K.  In
fact, newer LD players in the U.K. often are compatible with both NTSC and
PAL software to take advantage of the huge NTSC catalog already in
existance.  Also, it's implied in the laserdisc world that "IMPORT" refers
to a Japanese import.  (Remember that the Japanese video standard IS
NTSC.)
	For the most part, it is "moot" to own the "Hair of the Hound" LD
if one already owns "The Whole Story" LD unless the CAV advantage is
important to the viewer.  For many LD enthusiasts, it really is.  As
mentioned earlier in this thread, the "Hair of the Hound" laserdisc is
formatted at Standard Play (CAV :Constant Angular Velocity) which allows
crystal-clear freeze frame, variable speed play, and other special effects
that discs in Extended Play do not.  ("The Whole Story" LD is CLV
:Constant Linear Velocity which doesn't even allow freeze frames (at
all!))
	...I just thought that all needed to be cleared up.  Sorry if I
babbled on about stuff you-all already know.

Kate Jenkins.
Don't flame me because I'm beautiful...