Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

moments5.snd for Mac

From: larryy@apple.com (Larry Yaeger)
Date: 22 Jul 1993 01:07:33 -0700
Subject: moments5.snd for Mac
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Despite Jorn's best intentions (thanks for that fascinating RS FAQ), the
information about Macintosh versions of the moments5 sound sample were
incorrect.  No .hqx version exists on either ftp.uu.net or ftp.netcom.com,
at least not in the stated directories.  (There is also no reason to use
.hqx [BinHex] formatted sounds - this just converts the binary info to
ASCII - unless you want to email it to somebody, which is probably *not*
a good idea at over 4 MBytes.)

So, I managed to (quite manually - multiple applications and some ResEdit
hacking in hex!) create a "snd" file that can easily be played on a Mac,
directly from the Finder (system 7.0 or later may be required), with no
applications needed.  For a while at least, I've made it available at:

     ftp.apple.com

as the file:

     /pub/kate/moments5.snd

Use the usual "anonymous" login with your full email address as password.
And be sure to transfer in "binary" mode.

Perhaps someone else can take responsibility for moving it to more standard
KaTe repositories?

Enjoy!
--
"The Lier shall get up rewards in burn pond & sulphor." - No Lie Party