Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: first Kate Album to Listen to

From: larryy@apple.com (Larry Yaeger)
Date: 22 Jul 1993 00:30:17 -0700
Subject: Re: first Kate Album to Listen to
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Well, I'm sure it's personal, but contrary to concerns about "The Dreaming"
as an introductory KaTe album, that was precisely the album that turned me
into a KaTe devotee.  I had even heard a couple of songs from earlier albums
at a friend's house, and thought they were quite nice, but hadn't yet bought
any of her albums for myself.  Then came "The Dreaming".  It so completely
blew me away that I listened to it and it alone for days, and still
periodically pull it out and play it back to back, over and over.  It's
the most deeply affecting music I've ever found in a lifetime of wide
and varied musical experimentation.

All that said, none of the later albums existed when I discovered TD, and,
just perhaps, the recommendation of her "Whole Story" greatest hits album
has some merit.  However, being a greatest hits album, however wonderful
each song is, it doesn't exhibit the cohesiveness that KaTe's individual
albums always seem to.  Tis a quandary.
--
"The Lier shall get up rewards in burn pond & sulphor." - No Lie Party