Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of Pleasure

From: claris!wombat@uucp-gw-2.pa.dec.com (Scott Lindsey)
Date: 24 Jun 93 21:13:13 GMT
Subject: Re: Moments of Pleasure
To: rec-music-gaffa@Pa.dec.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: claris!news@uucp-gw-2.pa.dec.com

In article <C92u5D.GIG@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, brownfld@rcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
(Kenneth R Brownfield) wrote:

> In article <208ius$lqg@mickey.cc.utexas.edu>, bruceg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
> (Bruce Gimble) wrote:
> > To the guy who uploaded the mac version:  2 things.
> [...]
> > 2) why don't you try compressing the file with stuffit or compact pro and then
> > binhexing it.  This should cut down on the size considerably.  Binhexed files
> > are always unnecessarily large.  I don't know why.  It's just a terrible
> > encoding scheme.
>
>      Right, but compress the BinHex file.  Sound data does NOT compress more
> than about 1% with the best compressors.  Of course, you can only do this if
> it's an ftp site.  StuffIt files don't take net transmission well.
>      Thanks to the folks who are doing the sampling!

BinHex is an ASCII encoding, sort of like uuencoding.  Its only purpose is
to allow files to be transferred over 7-bit lines, via text-only protocols,
etc.  If this isn't an issue, there's no point in binhexing it in the first
place.  If you're ftp'ing a binary, just use binary mode (MacBinary if the
host is a Mac, otherwise it's probably best to convert the file to
MacBinary before putting it on the FTP server).

--
Scott Lindsey <wombat@claris.com>