Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 22 Jun 1993 14:17:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <Z5PD6B1w165w@netlink.cts.com> patrickm@netlink.cts.COM (Patrick McKinnion) writes:
>> As a guitarist, Prince is pretty consistently excellent.  As a songwriter,
>> he's hit and miss, I'll grant.  As a producer, he's done some very good
>> work too, and to be honest, I was pretty unimpressed with the production
>> on Kate's last album, so I'd say it could be a very good thing to have
>> Prince on board in that capacity.
>    Actually, my first intro to Kate was The Sensual World.    I was
>quite impressed with the production on it...enough so I went out and got
>all her other albums, started getting onto chats about her, etc, etc.

All I can say is I'm amazed yet again that people are impressed with
that album.

>> >information, and don't feel he would be a help.    Am I willing to be
>> >proven wrong on the matter of his harming the new album ??  Yes, I would.
>> You sure don't sound very open to the idea.
>     Actually I'm quite open to the idea...I'm willing to admit that
>prince might not be a hinderance to The Red Shoes, and that, while I feel
>he do more harm than good, I am willing to be proven wrong.  (as a matter
>of fact, I'd love to be proven wrong, as I'd hate The Red Shoes to be a
>dissappointment.)

Yes, such openness to state all these things in the negative "that prince
*might not* be a hindrance".  Such complete openness has yet to be
surpassed by anyone.

>   On a personal note, I noted that most of your defence of prince is
>more geared as attacks on me and my musical taste.    Since I have stated
>that these are my opinions, that others may feel differently, (as you
>seem to), may I ask that your comments regarding this matter be confined
>to discussing the matter, w/o personal attacks.    I have not attacked
>your musical taste in any way, please do not attack mine.

I don't know, I'd say calling an artist that I like "trash" is something
of an attack.

I suspect that if there is going to be any disappointment in _The Red Shoes_
it won't be due to Prince's influence.  After all, he didn't influence my
disappointment in the last album....
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
               The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent;