Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Peace, Love and Understanding

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 22 Jun 1993 14:21:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Peace, Love and Understanding
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9306181952.AA15163@whistler.sfu.ca> Fiona_McQuarrie@sfu.ca writes:
>Ahem #1 -
>> It's good to see that gaffa is STILL the bastion of fairness and sensibility
>> that it used to be.  Of course you have probably judged Prince on what
>> you see/hear in the media rather than any merits the man has of his own.
>> But hey, why give him a chance when it's obvious he's just a lame-o
>> poser.
>> Never mind that he's written some of the best songs of the last 15 years,
>> done some incredible production work, and probably has more musical
>> chops in his right hand than you have in your whole body; since you
>> don't like any of it, it's obviously worthless trash.
>Ahem #2 -
>MEREDITH LEAVE HER ALONE SHE HAS MORE TALENT IN HER LITTLE FINGER
>THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY HAVE.

My name isn't Meredith.

>Is it not possible for people on this list to express their likes/dislikes
>of particular artists without being accused of being themselves talentless,
>tasteless, etc.? What exactly are these attacks supposed to prove? If we
>don't have a million selling single and/or play 27 instruments, are we not
>allowed to comment on who we like and don't like?

I'm sorry, but Prince is not here to personally be offended by the claims
of talentlessness that are being lobbed at him by those who have not
accomplished half of what he has done.  Let those who throw stones be
prepared to face the return salvos that they inevitably generate.

>This sort of stuff is a waste of everyone's time. If you have points of an
>artist's merit to debate, do so, but lay off the personal insults.

I see.  Calling Prince a talentless publicity hound is "debating points
of an artist's merit", but calling the namecaller less talented is a
personal insult.

I think I'll go back to ignoring this group again.  We'll all be happier.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
  She says my work is like eating cold oatmeal, day after day, and she's right