Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of Pleasure

From: brownfld@rcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 13:44:01 GMT
Subject: Re: Moments of Pleasure
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@ux3.cso.uiuc.edu (Net Noise owner)

In article <208ius$lqg@mickey.cc.utexas.edu>, bruceg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
(Bruce Gimble) wrote:
> To the guy who uploaded the mac version:  2 things.
[...]
> 2) why don't you try compressing the file with stuffit or compact pro and then
> binhexing it.  This should cut down on the size considerably.  Binhexed files
> are always unnecessarily large.  I don't know why.  It's just a terrible
> encoding scheme.

     Right, but compress the BinHex file.  Sound data does NOT compress more
than about 1% with the best compressors.  Of course, you can only do this if
it's an ftp site.  StuffIt files don't take net transmission well.
     Thanks to the folks who are doing the sampling!

							Ken.
--
                                                        Ken.
(217) 367-5063                                   brownfld@uiuc.edu