Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 18 Jun 1993 14:12:30 -0500
Subject: Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <45TB6B1w165w@netlink.cts.com> patrickm@netlink.cts.COM (Patrick McKinnion) writes:
>pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) writes:
>> It's good to see that gaffa is STILL the bastion of fairness and sensibility
>> that it used to be.  Of course you have probably judged Prince on what
>> you see/hear in the media rather than any merits the man has of his own.
>   Actually I could care less about the media, or prince's relationship
>therein.    Most american 'musicians' are judged solely on how well they
>handle the media, (for good or bad), rather than if they happen to be
>good musicians.

Maybe that's how they are judged as a whole, but that's not how I judge
music.

>> Never mind that he's written some of the best songs of the last 15 years,
>> done some incredible production work, and probably has more musical
>> chops in his right hand than you have in your whole body; since you
>> don't like any of it, it's obviously worthless trash.
>      Well, I don't claim to be a musician, just someone, who, after
>several years of vocal and instrumental training, (including current
>lessons in violin), has some musical background and knowledge.

Ah.  Violinists are, after all, eminently qualified to judge guitarists.

As a guitarist, Prince is pretty consistently excellent.  As a songwriter,
he's hit and miss, I'll grant.  As a producer, he's done some very good
work too, and to be honest, I was pretty unimpressed with the production
on Kate's last album, so I'd say it could be a very good thing to have
Prince on board in that capacity.

>some wont.     Do I think his appearance on Kate's new album will harm
>more than hurt ?   I hope not.    However, most of the Kate fans I've
>told this information too have been rather underwelmed by this
>information, and don't feel he would be a help.    Am I willing to be
>proven wrong on the matter of his harming the new album ??  Yes, I would.

You sure don't sound very open to the idea.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
                            plant ice, harvest wind