Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...

From: Patrick McKinnion <patrickm@netlink.cts.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 23:49:22 PDT
Subject: Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

> >      Well, I don't claim to be a musician, just someone, who, after
> >several years of vocal and instrumental training, (including current
> >lessons in violin), has some musical background and knowledge.
>
> Ah.  Violinists are, after all, eminently qualified to judge guitarists.

     Well, as a begining violinist, (1 year), who also has 7 years
playing nylon acoustic guitar, (6-string), I dare say I may know
something about how a guitar is played.   (I also play octurna, I'm
learning penny whistle, and I play around with MIDI.   I don't count
myself as a musician, but just a music hobbist.)

> As a guitarist, Prince is pretty consistently excellent.  As a songwriter,
> he's hit and miss, I'll grant.  As a producer, he's done some very good
> work too, and to be honest, I was pretty unimpressed with the production
> on Kate's last album, so I'd say it could be a very good thing to have
> Prince on board in that capacity.

    Actually, my first intro to Kate was The Sensual World.    I was
quite impressed with the production on it...enough so I went out and got
all her other albums, started getting onto chats about her, etc, etc.

> >some wont.     Do I think his appearance on Kate's new album will harm
> >more than hurt ?   I hope not.    However, most of the Kate fans I've
> >told this information too have been rather underwelmed by this
> >information, and don't feel he would be a help.    Am I willing to be
> >proven wrong on the matter of his harming the new album ??  Yes, I would.
>
> You sure don't sound very open to the idea.
> --
     Actually I'm quite open to the idea...I'm willing to admit that
prince might not be a hinderance to The Red Shoes, and that, while I feel
he do more harm than good, I am willing to be proven wrong.  (as a matter
of fact, I'd love to be proven wrong, as I'd hate The Red Shoes to be a
dissappointment.)

   On a personal note, I noted that most of your defence of prince is
more geared as attacks on me and my musical taste.    Since I have stated
that these are my opinions, that others may feel differently, (as you
seem to), may I ask that your comments regarding this matter be confined
to discussing the matter, w/o personal attacks.    I have not attacked
your musical taste in any way, please do not attack mine.

--
INTERNET:  patrickm@netlink.cts.com (Patrick McKinnion)
UUCP:   ...!ryptyde!netlink!patrickm