Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: good opinion, ay?

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 93 00:26 CDT
Subject: Re: good opinion, ay?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <930618183557_555063.0_FHI25-1@CompuServe.COM> MJM writes:
>Andrea spouts the first *reasonable* opinion re: Prince et. al. on KTVII:
>> Personally, if I didn't KNOW it was him, I would NEVER know it was him.
>
>> So, it is quite possible that Prince's footprint on Kate's album will
>> only be exactly where she wanted it.
>>
>> I think it would be the ultimate mark of a good producer to be able to
>> add one's talent without adding one's personal style to someone else's
>> work.
>
>Yes, yes, yes.... this is exactly what I had been thinking.
>Let us note that in the past when other artists have collaborated with
>Kate on a Kate album, they certainly have not:
>
>     1) Written or co-written any of the songs.
>     2) Contributed their (existing songs) for Kate to cover.
>     3) Sang *lead* vocals (even on Rockets Tail, Kate is still lead).
>     4) Significantly changed or de-kateified any of the music.

   It should also be pointed out that Prince is *not* credited as a
producer of the album, and there is no evidence that he contributes
anything other than vocals or insturmentals.

>Sure, the Bulgarians *influenced* Kate and she *wrote in* some parts
>especially for them.  But think about all the other well-known or
>almost-famous people who have contributed in some way to a Kate work.
>Their contributions have been *very* subtle and altogether inconspicuous
>relative to the vast Kateness in whose midst they are but specks of
>dust.

   Besides, everyone who has worked with Kate has done so because of
their respect for her work, the Trio included. Why would anyone want to
contribute anything that would tend to obscure the very qualities you
admire?

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)