Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...

From: Patrick McKinnion <patrickm@netlink.cts.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 93 23:20:38 PDT
Subject: Re: Prince ?? Oh, blegh...
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) writes:
> It's good to see that gaffa is STILL the bastion of fairness and sensibility
> that it used to be.  Of course you have probably judged Prince on what
> you see/hear in the media rather than any merits the man has of his own.

   Actually I could care less about the media, or prince's relationship
therein.    Most american 'musicians' are judged solely on how well they
handle the media, (for good or bad), rather than if they happen to be
good musicians.

> But hey, why give him a chance when it's obvious he's just a lame-o
> poser.

    All of his stuff I've heard points to the fact that, in my opinion,
he's a marginally talented poser.    (Note, in both my postings, I did
say, In my opinion.    For I am stating my opinion, not universal truth.
Some people, including friends of mine, like prince.   Myself, I promised
myself I'd rather get a vasectomy via weed-wacker than suffer though
another viewing of purple rain again.    Sorry, all the stuff I've heard
of his has been underwelming.)

> Never mind that he's written some of the best songs of the last 15 years,
> done some incredible production work, and probably has more musical
> chops in his right hand than you have in your whole body; since you
> don't like any of it, it's obviously worthless trash.
> --

      Well, I don't claim to be a musician, just someone, who, after
several years of vocal and instrumental training, (including current
lessons in violin), has some musical background and knowledge.    Again,
in my opinion, he doesn't have a great deal of musical talent, just a
talent for keeping his name in the spotlight enough to insure that the
media won't forget him.    As for worthless, that's a individual
question.   Do I think it's worthless, yes.    Do others ?   Some will,
some wont.     Do I think his appearance on Kate's new album will harm
more than hurt ?   I hope not.    However, most of the Kate fans I've
told this information too have been rather underwelmed by this
information, and don't feel he would be a help.    Am I willing to be
proven wrong on the matter of his harming the new album ??  Yes, I would.

--
INTERNET:  patrickm@netlink.cts.com (Patrick McKinnion)
UUCP:   ...!ryptyde!netlink!patrickm