Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ALBUM NEWSFLASH!

From: news%BBN@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 10:36:16 EDT
Subject: Re: ALBUM NEWSFLASH!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Sender: news%BBN@uunet.UU.NET

From: shetline@bbn.com (Kerry Shetline)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 16 Jun 1993 14:36:12 GMT

In article <40.142597.700.0CE159FD@channel1.com>, eric.walker@channel1.com
(Eric Walker) wrote:
> >BTW, the old Technicolor process created three negatives--red, green,
> >and blue. [I believe these were created by shooting black & white
> >film through red, green, and blue filters in the camera]
>
> Actually, the three colors used in the three-color process were red,
> blue and YELLOW - the three basic colors.  The other colors came from
> combinations of the three basics, i.e. blue + yellow = green.  (Those
> art classes in second grade finally came in handy!)

I hate starting-up/continuing one of these tangent discussions, but...

Red, green, and blue are the standard primary colors of light in what is
called a tristimulus color model. You can use other colors, and no one set
of three colors can produce the entire gamut of human-perceived color, but
red, green, and blue give the widest possible range.

When working with pigments, the best set of three colors contains magenta,
cyan, and yellow. These colors are what are used, with the addition of
black for improved contrast, in the standard four-color printing process.

For second grade art class, however, red is close enough to magenta, and
blue (more like a sky blue) close enough to cyan to satisfy the struggling
crayon and finger paint artists!

-Kerry