Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Jig of Life" poem

From: "Bruce Mattys -- ex. 6651" <bmattys@hayes.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 93 12:21:42 EDT
Subject: "Jig of Life" poem

To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet

From: bmattys@hayes.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 16 Jun 93 12:21:27 EDT

I've always wondered about the poem that ends "Jig of Life." ("Can't
you see where memories are kept...", etc.) Does anyone know if Kate
wrote it, or if it has other origins? It always seemed more formally
poetic than her usual style, but I could be wrong. (W.B. Yeats comes
to mind.) All songs are credited to her, but the poem isn't printed on
the lyric sheet. The narrator is credited, however, which makes it
unlikely that it was added to the song at the last minute, after the
liner notes were designed and ready to go, as occasionally happens.
If anyone out there has deciphered all the words to the poem, please
post them. There are a few I'm unsure of. Thanks.

Bruce Mattys
bmattys@hayes.com