Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming

From: bbs-bdoherty@jwt.oau.org (Benjamin Doherty)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1993 02:23:07 GMT
Subject: Re: The Dreaming
To: rec-music-gaffa@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: tarpit!jwt!bbs@peora.sdc.ccur.com

Andrea@hivnet.ubc.ca writes:

> "The Dreaming" by Barbara Wood.  The book is about AUSTRALIA!!!  So I
> thought "hmmm..." but after checking the many acknowledgements found no
> reference to Kate.  So I checked the publishing date - 1991!  So... Is this

Kate, unfortunatly, has nothing to do with the term "The Dreaming."
"The Dreaming" is a reference to the aborigines' (sp) belief that
before humans were in existence, they were animals that could change
shape.  Here is her quote, direct from a list of Kate Quotes that was
posted several months ago.

        "The Dreaming" - "The song was originally going to be called
"Dreamtime," which is the name the Aborigines gave to a magic time
before man was man as he is today - when man was an animal and could
change shape.  This magical time was also known as the Dreaming to
the Aborigines, so I thought it would be an ideal title for the
song."

Therefore, Kate had no part in coining the term, but it could be that
she made it well known.

InterNET: bbs-bdoherty@jwt.oau.org            |   ProLine: bdoherty@pro-magic
          jwt!bbs-bdoherty@peora.sdc.ccur.com |       BBS: +1 407/859-9999
          ...!peora!jwt!bbs-bdoherty          |