Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Discography

From: dsr@LNS598.LNS.CORNELL.EDU (Daniel S. Riley)
Date: 7 Jun 1993 13:44:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Discography
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0o1l0u-000Nh3C@zoodle.robin.de>,
uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes:
> CD-ROM file format: it's nice and completely understandable that you want
> to have 8+3 characters filenames. But that's UGLY. If your computer can't
> do better, then that's ok with me. But I am thinking of additionally having
> a better name space. Isn't there something called 'Rockridge extension'?

My vague recollection is that the RockRidge extensions are for Unix
specific things, like protections and file ownership.  ISO9660 does
allow long, mixed-case file systems by itself--but I guess MSDOS
machines have problems reading them.

> - info:
>     pro: hypertext (albeit limited). Runs under emacs (and others). Searchable.
>     con: looks ugly. Isn't availlable everywhere. Runs under emacs.
> - TeX/LaTeXinfo: (that's a combination of info & TeX/LaTeX)
>     pro: see TeX/LaTeX, see info
>     con: if looking good there's no hypertext/search. If there's

For info, we would want to start with TeXinfo or LaTeXinfo.  Besides the
emacs info browser, there is also a standalone curses-based info browser that
comes with the MakeInfo distribution from the FSF, and a standalone Athena
based Xinfo widget.  The xinfo browser doesn't look all that bad, but the
others are pretty ugly.

There is a hacked version of makeinfo that will translate TeXinfo into
AmigaGuide, the Amiga help-file hypertext format.  There are probably other
converters as well, since info is becoming fairly common.

Howerver, info is pretty limited as hypertext goes.

> Any other good ideas?

We should probably at least consider HTML, the SGML hypertext DTD used by
the World Wide Web distributed hypertext system (primarily from CERN, with
the best WWW browser so far from NCSA).  I'm pretty sure there are Info to
HTML converters out there, as well as HTML to LaTeX converters.  HTML, at
least viewed with xmosaic, looks pretty good, allows embedded hypertext links
to images, soundfiles, animations, etc., and can be made searchable.

Having an HTML version would make it easy to put a copy up on a web server
somewhere, so it could be easily browsed over the network by anyone with
a web client and an internet connection.

There's also AmigaGuide format, the aforementioned Amiga help-file format.
If whatever format we end up with as the primary is reasonably easy to
parse, I'll volunteer to make an AmigaGuide version, and perhaps an HTML
version.

--
-Dan Riley                          Internet: dsr@lns598.tn.cornell.edu
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University     HEPNET/SPAN: lns598::dsr (44630::dsr)