Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush Club

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Fri, 28 May 93 03:28 CDT
Subject: Re: Kate Bush Club
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <C7q5Fy.ABK@chinet.chinet.com> Jorn writes:
>Chris writes:
>>    It's a shame really. Homeground is run by fans and appears regularly,
>> but would benefit from more pictures and professional typesetting.
>> The KBC newsletter is run by Kate and her family & friends and appears
>> a couple of times a decade. It has *wonderful* color photos by J. C.
>> Bush and professional typesetting, but little input from the fans it
>> serves.
>>    It's a crying shame that the best features of the two haven't been
>> combined into one top-notch publication.

>(Yeah, I agree, but then it's a crying shame Bosnia and Serbia can't just
>be friends, too, eh?  :^)

   Lord, what a dumb analogy. Homeground and the KBC are not at odds,
and never have been. The Homeground folks have served as the de facto
fan club (they organized the convention) and deserve the title.

>I'm sure you didn't intend this, Chris, as a criticism of Homeground, and I
>*hope* you don't mean it as a criticism of Kate...?

  My only "criticism" of Homeground was pointing out the limitations of
their typesetting and access to photos, both could be cured with more
income, income that could be supplied buy the "dues" wasted on the KBC.

>  I feel so intensely
>that she's going thru trials of her own, these days (er, these *years* :^)
>and we need to just send our best good wishes her way...

   Artists, and Kate in particular, should *not* run their own fan
clubs. Fan clubs should be (follow my logic on this) "clubs" run by
"fans." See, "fan" "clubs," "Fan Club." Simple, really.

   Kate Bush, is *not* a Kate Bush Fan. Krys and Peter are. Kate cannot
be bothered to run a fan club in the way that a club should be run.

>Nobody feels, do they, that Kate is being lazy and *irresponsible to us*,
>by not catering to our ***selfish*** desires to *consume her*?  I think
>nobody suffers more sense of worthlessness than an artist who's not
>creating, or who's finding that her creative flows have, for now, dwindled
>to a trickle.  But the muse is fickle, and all we can do for Kate is *love
>her inexhaustibly* for the inexhaustible boons she's already granted!

  Kate makes music. We consume it. Each is necessary to the other.
Kate's only responsibility is to create records, Everything else about
our symbiotic relationship is extra. Some elements of the relationship
can be handled better by others. Take T-Shirts for example. Kate doesn't
like to see her face on people's chests or stomachs, and the KBC has
never offered t-shirts with her face on them. Fans seem to prefer
t-shirts with large graphics. The Convention t-shirt is so subtle that
it's almost subliminal.

   Kate can spend *more* time on her music by spending *less* time on
the fan club.

>jorn
>(NfE 2nite!)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)
                                   katefans@chinet.chinet.com (ours)

P.S. Hey, that may be a record for the fastest "forever." Are you still
holding your breath?