Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: sad-songstress

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Thu, 20 May 93 18:03:13 -0400
Subject: Re: sad-songstress
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

mjm wrote:

>Army Dreamers?  Breathing?  Mother Stands for Comfort?
>Empty Bullring?  Blow Away?  All the Love?  Never Be Mine?

Houdini?  This Woman's Work?  There are all sorts of non-joyful KaTe songs...

But few of them are of the "I'm wrenching out my heart" variety.  KaTe
hides the sadness (and any other emotion she expresses) in the characterization
and plot.  Which is part of what makes her so special.

>If you're really into sad songs, check out the new
>Aimee Mann album "Whatever."  Brilliant stuff, but I wish
>she'd write a couple of happy tunes once in a while just to mix
>it up.

What's "unhappy" about about "Mr. Harris"?  I think it's a lovely, upbeat
love song.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka     | "When I look in the mirror, I see a little clearer/ |
|SAFH Lite [tm]       |  I am what I am and you are you too./  Do you like  |