Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: No new Kate this year- Here's why

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 11:58 MET DST
Subject: Re: No new Kate this year- Here's why
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

> *** THE KATE EQUATION ***  (Note:  I did not invent this; I forgot who did)

I didn't invent the name, but some of the calculation. Last discussion of this
sort was started by IED, I think.

> Not counting The Kick Inside (since it was her first) or Lionheart (generally
> a good idea, anyway), look:
> Never For Ever - 1980
> The Dreaming - 1982 (two year wait)
> Hounds of Love - 1985 (three year wait)
> Sensual World - 1989 (four year wait)

It's possible to do it better (including TKI and LH, why should they not count?):

         TKI '78
0 years: LH  '78
         1 year paused due to Tour of Life '79, thus this year doesn't count
1 year:  NFE '80
2 years: TD  '82
3 years: HOL '85
         TWS ('86) doesn't count as a normal album
4 years: TSW '89
5 years: KT-7 '94 (see?)
6 years: KT-8 '00 (yuck! only one more album in this millenia... :-( )

I heard that Prince is going to pause for five years from now on. The
Prince fan who told me that said that this would be an opportunity to
complete his collection. Do we all have complete colleKTions?

To fulfill his contract with Warner Prince is going to take some songs every
year. He doesn't have any problems with that since he has about 500 songs
completely ready to release. There won't be tours, of course. Only problem with

the stock of 500 songs is that the stuff might be out-of-date in some years. Maybe

KaTe has the same so that her heirs in some hundred years are able to earn money

with 'fresh, previously unreleased KaTe-stuff'. Let's see:

500 songs are with 12 songs/album + 8 bsides/album about 25 albums plus
accompanying singles. I'll stop with album KT-31...

 7 years: KT-9  2007
 8 years: KT-10 '15
 9 years: KT-11 '24
10 years: KT-12 '34
11 years: KT-13 '45
12 years: KT-14 '57
13 years: KT-15 '70 (gee! then I am 102 years old!)
14 years: KT-16 '84
15 years: KT-17 '99

16 years: KT-18 2115
17 years: KT-19 '32
18 years: KT-20 '50
19 years: KT-21 '69 (just reached my year 201)
20 years: KT-22 '89
21 years: KT-23 2210
22 years: KT-24 '32
23 years: KT-25 '55
24 years: KT-26 '79
25 years: KT-27 2304
26 years: KT-28 '30
27 years: KT-29 '57
28 years: KT-30 '85 (KT-30 is just 400 years after KT-5)
29 years: KT-31 2414 (now I am 446 years old...)

Probably KaTe's grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-
grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-children are born then, but
these 18 generations statistically would be about 2^18 or 262144 people (not

counting inbreedings etc.). If every one of them just buys 1 copy of the latest

album, it's almost immediately gold.

Bye,

Uli