Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Running up that Hill video on MTV

From: nessus@media.mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 03:01:55 GMT
Subject: Running up that Hill video on MTV
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <m0nlDDW-000ilXC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>
chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

> The one in brown, behind the podium is the Wogan show. MTV didn't
> play the actual video more than once or twice for reasons that have
> never been made clear, although theories have been tossed around for
> so long they have been taken as the truth.

The reason MTV wouldn't play the original video is because Kate didn't
lip-sync in it.  MTV considered lip-synching a requirement for any
"breaking" (i.e. not yet established in the U.S.) artist.  This was
told to me by John Carder Bush, so it seems extremely likely to be
true.  It also seems very much like MTV.  John said that MTV wanted
something that was lip-synced, so Kate and family sent MTV a tape of
the Wogan appearance rather than making a new video.

Once the song went out of rotation on MTV, MTV apparently had a change
of heart and actually played the real video a fair amount (at least I
used to see it a lot).  They then did the strange thing of nominating
the real video--a video they initially had refused to play--for Best
Video by a Female artists!  Go figure.