Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: please tell me this isn't

From: mojzes@tiger.vill.edu (brni)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1993 05:53:27 GMT
Subject: Re: please tell me this isn't
Expires: Tue, 6 Apr 1993 04:00:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu

In article <1993Apr2.700.110195@channel1> eric.walker@channel1.com (Eric Walker) writes:

>UG>1) Willie Nelson and Sinead O'Connor duetting on P.Gabriel's "Don't Give
>UG>Up"????
>UG>Nooooo.....please keep Sinead away from anything to do with PG...and
>UG>Willie....

nonono! keep willie away from gabriel's stuff. (for that matter, keep
jeffrey gaines away from gabriel's stuff.)  sinead a very unique voice,
one which is simultaneously very powerful and very fragile, one which
is as troubled and emotive as her personal life seems to be.  i think
that her vox would work very well with a number of gabriel songs, since
pg has that ability to produce strong emotion without falling back on
sappy cliches.  i'm thinking mainly of stuff from _security_ or the
soundtracks.  "don't give up" sounds too...too...too non-exotic for
her voice, imho.
>I've become tired of the big Sinead-bashing fad that's swept America
>ever since her tearing up a picture of the Pope on "Saturday Night
>Live."  These insults are often coming from the same people who decry
>the very things she was protesting in that incident - it's just easy
>to dump on her because "everyone's doing it."

sinead strikes me as one of the most couragious people in the music
world today.  she has produced some of the most original music that
has come out since the mid-eighties; she has produced three albums that
sound nothing alike; she has espoused unpopular political beliefs;
she doesn't back down.  she makes people uncomfortable, because when
she speaks, even when she is totally wrong, she holds up some ugly
Truth that we are desparately trying to avoid dealing with.

in an era where "alternative music" means that you sound either exactly
like rem or exactly like the psychedelic furs or you don't get played
on the radio, something that stands out like that, something that doesn't
sit where you tell it to, something that moves and acts of its own
volition in unpredictable ways is going to provoke a very violent
reactions.

i hope she never backs down.  and i hope that if i ever find myself
under the pressure that she faces, i have the strenght not to either.

>If Kate tore up a picture of the Pope, would we be so quick to jump on
>her?

kate's not irish.  kate's not really political.  kate has hair.
it makes a difference...
besides, kate probably doesn't have a picture of the pope...

brni
mojzes@tiger.vill.edu