Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ODSKC and KaTe

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 93 23:02:29 -0400
Subject: ODSKC and KaTe
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Last weekend, at the second annual Old Dominion Stunt Kite Championship
(ODSKC), a regional event in the Eastern League Sport Kite Association,
there was some notable music selections:

IIB (Intermediate Individual Ballet)

Under Ice, flown by Jeff Burka
This Woman's Work, flown by Lindsey Assay

EPB (Experienced Pairs Ballet)

Book of Days (Enya), flown by Valli Boyz Lite

MPB (Master Pairs Ballet)

a kd lang song which I can't name, flown by KAK Attack (Dave & Sherrie Arnold)

Unfortunately, KAK Attack were the only folks to win, but hey, at least
the rest of us were using good music.  I was the first contestant of
the day, and after I left the flying field, someone came up to me
and said "Great music."  As I was pondering whether he was simply commenting
on the choice of music for competition or if he actually knew who KaTe
was, he added, "You almost never see anybody performing to Kate Bush."

I was *quite* surprised less than an hour later to hear "This Woman's Work"
blasting over the sound system.  It wasn't until a few hours later that
I found out that it was an acquaintance of mine who had chosen the song!  I
didn't even know Lindsey liked Kate Bush...

Dave and Sherrie always have interesting music.  In the past, flying IIB,
Sherrie has used Tori's "Silent All These Years" and Jane Siberry 'n
kd's "Calling All Angels".

For what it's worth, I'll be flying my slightly upgraded "Under Ice" routine
again at MASKC (Mid-Atlantic Stunt Kite Championships) in Ocean City,
Maryland, on May 8th.  Hopefully with far fewer mistakes at the beginning
of the routine (I completely blew the section when the violin riff starts;
the rest of the routine looked quite good, or so I've heard from some
of the other flyers).

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka        | "Fairies are the perfect people to do this        |
|SAFH Lite [tm]          |  sort of work.  Biologically, their upper         |
|jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu    |  bodies are strong enough to wield a pickaxe...." |