Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori, Kate and other natural flavors

From: robo@oregon.uoregon.edu (O'Neill, Rob)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 20:56:40 GMT
Subject: Re: Tori, Kate and other natural flavors
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1993Mar30.090838.21241@satyr.UUCP> satyr!buck@apple.com (Michael Butler) writes:

>Could someone please email to me the "Tori, Kate and other natural flavors"
>post to which so many are replying?  Either the Net ate it before it got
>here or I'm badly out of sync.

>>>Comparing Tori Amos to Kate Bush is like comparing apples and
>>>oranges.

>As I've said, I disagree.  It seems more like comparing nectarines to
>peaches, *which* *is* *why* *I* *did* *it*.  (big grin)

>But doing it for too long is *boring*, and I don't want to burn up
>much more net.traffic over this rwar.

>I *am* rewarded to hear that at least one person has echoed some of my
>private thoughts unbidden (e.g, the cover of LE is clearly similar to
>the cover of the American TKI; it is *not* an obscure or hard-to-see
>thing for me).

>So, enough.  I'm not at all sorry I raised the issue, but I'll be
>reserving judgement on TA, and like that...  Thanks to everyone who
>contributed to my inquiry into the matter.

>A few final thoughts on the whole issue of (dis)Similarity:

>The _continuum_ of "copied"-"derived"-influenced"-"similar"-"parallel"-
>   "different"-"very unlike"-"totally unlike"-"opposite"
>..and the different ways in which these labels may get applied,
>and *to what* (i.e., the person vs The Work vs The Package...)
> is one I had been forgetting; and I overloaded my sense of
>similarity with the pejorative "derivative" without thinking.

>It seems to me that simplistic "apples and oranges" responders
>could perhaps also profit from this perspective.
>
>Just to add my $.02.  I'm a long-time Kate fan, but have and know only a
few of her albums.  I bought "Little Earthquakes", and one of my first
thoughts was primarily how much Tori's voice sounded like Kate B. does
on some of the tracks.  Musically and lyrically I didn't hear a lot of "
similarity"; my impression was more the vocal qualities, phrasing, etc.
But, it only seems to be really apparent on a few cuts.  I must say I'm
extremely impressed with Amos's album; I think it's really, really good.