Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori, Kate and other natural flavors

From: satyr!buck@apple.com (Michael Butler)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 09:08:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Tori, Kate and other natural flavors
To: rec-music-gaffa@apple.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Could someone please email to me the "Tori, Kate and other natural flavors"
post to which so many are replying?  Either the Net ate it before it got
here or I'm badly out of sync.

>>Comparing Tori Amos to Kate Bush is like comparing apples and
>>oranges.

As I've said, I disagree.  It seems more like comparing nectarines to
peaches, *which* *is* *why* *I* *did* *it*.  (big grin)

But doing it for too long is *boring*, and I don't want to burn up
much more net.traffic over this rwar.

I *am* rewarded to hear that at least one person has echoed some of my
private thoughts unbidden (e.g, the cover of LE is clearly similar to
the cover of the American TKI; it is *not* an obscure or hard-to-see
thing for me).

So, enough.  I'm not at all sorry I raised the issue, but I'll be
reserving judgement on TA, and like that...  Thanks to everyone who
contributed to my inquiry into the matter.

A few final thoughts on the whole issue of (dis)Similarity:

The _continuum_ of "copied"-"derived"-influenced"-"similar"-"parallel"-
   "different"-"very unlike"-"totally unlike"-"opposite"
...and the different ways in which these labels may get applied,
and *to what* (i.e., the person vs The Work vs The Package...)
 is one I had been forgetting; and I overloaded my sense of
similarity with the pejorative "derivative" without thinking.

It seems to me that simplistic "apples and oranges" responders
could perhaps also profit from this perspective.