Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori, Kate and other natural flavors

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 93 06:12 CST
Subject: Re: Tori, Kate and other natural flavors
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Chris here,

>>I have no problem with Tori stealing some ideas from Kate's
>>early years.
>
>What?  If you are implying that Tori "stole" her themes of sexual
>oppression and religious guilt from  _The Kick Inside_, then
>you'd best get your medication adjusted.

   Tori didn't steal ideas from Kate, she has said so and I believe her.
BUT - "Tori Amos" covers the work of a number of people; Tori does
not direct her own videos as Kate does. Tori may well be unaware that
the woman who directs her videos *and* shoots her album and single cover
photos *is* quite aware of Kate's work. There are a number of obscure
Kate videos that are directly quoted in Tori's videos, too closely
to be accidental. Tori may be unaware of these, and it doesn't really
matter if Cindy Palmano borrows bits for something as obscure as
the "Die Eftling" videos.

>Comparing Tori Amos to Kate Bush is like comparing apples and
>oranges.  As woj said, they are both females who sing in the
>upper registers and play and compose on the piano, but the
>similarity ends there.  End of story.

   ...and it has the unintended effect of alienating some Kate fans.

                            Chris Williams of
                              Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                 chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu