Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A New Kate Project??

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Mar 93 10:26:06 EST
Subject: A New Kate Project??
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Joen (is this an alternate spelling of Joan?) wrote recently:
> Hello (sorry for the previous message, please skip that one)
> I'm rather new to this list and I was wondering if there are people
> that play Kate's music on guitar (or keyboard etc). I'm looking for
> chords/sheetmusic. Anyone? If not, are people interested in such a
> thing? Maybe we can find out some things ourselves. Please reactions,

Surprisingly, to my knowledge, there has never been a formal
effort in love-hounds to put together a collection of, say, chord
progressions, for Kate's music.  We've done lyrics, interviews,
articles, all the printed stuff, analysis, etc., but never the
actual music, except in very isolated instances (like I remember someone
wrote a long note comparing Dream of Sheep with Hello Earth).
Writing piano arrangements would be way too difficult a task,
but just chords that could be played on a guitar as (albeit weak)
accompaniment, would be way cool.  Does anyone else have any interest
in doing something like this?  I would certainly be willing to
"figure out" a few songs, although I must admit that
1) nearly all of Kate's songs are written for piano, and
2) I've tried to figure out some of them (the real interesting ones,
   chord-wise) and they're pretty tough.

2 that I find particularly challenging:  Fullhouse (ouch!), Feel It
(the former is definitely the hardest, though perhaps something
like DecWBMagicA is tough too).  Anyways, if people would like to
try to do this, they could send a message with the songs that they
will try to transcribe (so we don't duplicate effort), then when
people are done, we can all go home and test them out on guitar,
and edit them, come to a consensus, and eventually, someone
could compile them into something like IED's most-lyrics thing.

A good place to start is with the lyrics, which are all on line.

Any questions?  If people express interest in this, it would
be fun to do while we wait for more new music.

BTW, the sheet music that I've seen (officially published, that is)
of Kate's music, has been really weak.  If there's anything *good*
out there, then we've got a running start.  I think just the
Whole Story has been published... maybe HoL.

-mjm (mike the music man)