Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Keys, Locks and the Dreaming

From: kobi@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il (Sambrano Kobi)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 93 2:17:15 EET
Subject: Re: Keys, Locks and the Dreaming
To: s0499528@let.rug.nl (R. Dijkhuis)
Cc: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Internet address: bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il. Bitnet address: bimacs.bitnet. Old internet address (bimacs.biu.ac.il) is available only temporarily.

> There have been a number of very enlightening postings about separate songs
> on the Dreaming. But I've noticed that there are a lot of lyrical
> threads running through the album as a whole, most importantly the locking
> up/ opening locks symbolism. Lots of things involving locks, keys, people
> locking themselves up etcetera. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> Off the top of my head I can think of Leave it Open, Houdini, Get Out of My
> House...
>
> Reinder

Uri Goldberg and I have also noticed that. Almost *EVERY* song in
'The Dreaming' has something about opening/unlocking/locking/shutting/breaking-out in it.

'There Goes a Tenner' - is about a crime, and contains the words: "You blow the
                        safe up" - need I say more?...:)
'Pull OUT The Pin' - of a hand grenade (?) - self evident.

'Suspended In Gaffa' - "We're not ones for BUSTING THROUGH WALLS..."
                       "I won't open boxes..." etc.

'Night Of The Swallow' - The whole song is about breaking out. "Ooh let me try,
                         give me something to show for my miserable life...
                         Let me, LET ME GO" "They hold the sky on the other
                         side..." etc.
'All The Love' - "I'm going out", "Only tragedy allows the release...",
                 "I stand at the gates..." etc

And I've sure missed a few there, (besides those you mentioned)...

Kobi