Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Who is Rosabelle?

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 93 18:34:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Who is Rosabelle?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <930225190603_555063.0_CHL54-1@CompuServe.COM> you write:
>I was recently showing someone the Houdini description that Kate
>once wrote (the story anout Ford, etc.) and the album cover and the
>song.  Just when I thought I was thru, she asked about the lyrics,
>and who Rosabelle is, and I was stumped.  I felt dumb because I know
>this we've discussed this whole thing here before, but for the life
>of me I cannot remember. So, if someone could please post a summary
>of any pertinent details, specifically, what point of view the lyrics
>are told from (the POV seems to shift, right?) and who is Rosabelle,
>I would be grateful and could end my friend's confusion.

The entire song is from the point of view of Houdini's wife.  Rosabelle
was, I believe Houdini's mother.  The name is important, though, because
the 'secret code' that Houdini shared with his wife so she'd know he
was speaking to her from 'beyond' was "Rosabelle believe."  Hence it's
many repetitions within the song.

Of course, the one line in the song not spoken by Mrs. Houdini is
Del's telephoned "Rosabelle belive" in the second verse.

While the entire song is first-person from Mrs. Houdini, it *does* jump
around int time.  The verses are after Houdini's death and the refrain
is during various performances.

God, this song is so romantic, sad, chilling.  It gives me shivvers
every time I hear it.  <sigh>

Jeff
(who's in the process of putting the CD into his player right now...)
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka        | "Fairies are the perfect people to do this        |
|(suffering Bad Grammar) |  sort of work.  Biologically, their upper         |