Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Who is Rosabelle?

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 93 04:53:37 EST
Subject: Re: Who is Rosabelle?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:

>The entire song is from the point of view of Houdini's wife.  Rosabelle
>was, I believe Houdini's mother.  The name is important, though, because
>the 'secret code' that Houdini shared with his wife so she'd know he
>was speaking to her from 'beyond' was "Rosabelle believe."  Hence it's
>many repetitions within the song.

According to a documentary we have, "Rosabel Believe" was a song that
the Houdinis loved. An excerpt of what I assume is the actual song is
playing at the point where the voice-over is talking about them setting
up the code.

Shall I blaspheme a little? Why not, even God can take some ribbing
every now and then. The song itself works just fine, lyrically and
musically, but Kate herself came off looking just a bit silly in
interviews after the album came out, when talking about that song.
In reality, whats-his-name never broke the code through supernatural
means. Mrs. Houdini thought he did, at first (and there's the song)
but later found out that he obtained the code through earthly means.
She eventually stated that there was no way of communicating with the
dearly departed. I don't know where Kate heard the story that turned
into "Houdini" but she didn't do any homework on the real story. I
cringe when listening to some of those interviews, because the way
she talks, she actually *believes* that Mrs H made contact with Mr H.
I hope someone told her, and I hope she doesn't still believe that.

It doesn't matter, I love her anyway.

Vickie