Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 'Ship': Not (This Time), again

From: Kevin Ewacha <kewacha@csi.uottawa.CA>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 93 17:18:00 GMT
Subject: Re: 'Ship': Not (This Time), again
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: Keith White <kwhite@csi.uottawa.CA>

I never questioned that the word was "shit", that seems quite clear, and
makes sense.  I never even thought about the word "ship".  (I've heard the
rumors about Kate having a fear of flying - I've also heard that they are
untrue - but nothing about a fear of sailing! :-) )

However, I should point out that I did misinterpret the lyrics in several
other places.  And while it is nice to know what she's really singing, the
correct lyrics raise more questions than they answer.

What I thought I heard was,
"When you're near I *feel* you, and I forget myself"
"*You* keep me going, *you* keep the shit away"

I always thought that the song was about a person 'trapped' in a 'bad'
relationship.  (One which is not right, but not - I don't think - an
abusive  one.)  She (or he, but I'll go with she) wants to leave, but
finds herself unable to.  When she is alone, she can think clearly about
the  situation and see why she must leave.  But, as soon as she is with the
other person, everything changes, reason fades (when you're near I feel
you, and I forget myself).  She cannot not bring herself to end it.  Either
the other person always convinces her to stay, she doesn't want to hurt the
other person, or she is afraid of having to stand up to the world on her own
(you keep the shit away).  Or possibly a bit of all three.

But, so much for all that.

Now my best guess is that she's afraid of what the other person will do to
her if she tries to leave.  But I think being afraid is thinking about
yourself, not 'forgetting' yourself.  And I can't quite see how singing
"Toor-ee-ah Toor-ee-oh..." would keep the shit away.  (Maybe have to try it
sometime.)

--
"You looked so innocent then with the rain like tears on your face, and you
look so indifferent now, I see you've found your place, and I guess it's

Maybe I guessed wrong: you look 'different' again! (-:  :-)

--
Kevin Ewacha
kewacha@csi.uottawa.ca