Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

>Quoting< etiquette

From: jorn@chinet.chi.il.us (Jorn Barger)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1993 03:27:57 GMT
Subject: >Quoting< etiquette
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Thinking about the perennial problem of humans-who-quote-too-much,
it seems to me miss manners would approve if someone put together
a form letter to send to overquoters, *that briefly reminded them
of the easiest way to trim big bunches of lines* for a whole range
of the most common (and perplexing) text editors...

I use gnu emacs, for example, and the command i always end up using
is ^k^n^k^n, which is tedious, and so tempting to omit (and just dump
the whole quote, lazily).  i expect there's easier delete-to-end-of-page
or delete-block commands, if i troubled to learn them.

miss manners loves it if you assume that errors like overquoting are the
result of unfamiliarity with your technology... (it minimizes embarrassment)

so if anyone wants to email me a brief explanation of how to delete lines
easily in whatever editors they use most, i'll see if this idea is practical...

jorn@chinet.chi.il.us