Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Japanese TWW boxed set..a commentary.

From: dlangs%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 3 Feb 1993 18:47:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Japanese TWW boxed set..a commentary.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

acsbk@umassd.edu ("Organon") writes:
> 	ok. maybe I am jsut missing something here. Because of all the
> noise about the Japanese release of TWW boxed, I had a friend of mine
> buy it over break in Tokyo for me ( and it cost me (!) $140.)

A very good price these days.

> 	THE WHOLE STINKING ANTHOLOGY IS IN JAPANESE. =) Except for
> titilating words like 'Monty Python', 'Brazil' and such.. Now my japanese
> reading comprehension is nigh-0 with the exception of the character
> 'no' which means 'of'.. so the Anthology I will have to repurchase from
> EMI America.. The rest is just nit picky things.. 'Wuthering Heights'
> is spelled 'Wethering Heights' on the back of one albumn, and the commentary
> in each CD's case interior about each song is.. you guessed it. In Japanese.

Remember this set was released for the Japanese market.  Why should they
print anything in English?  Most Japanese CD booklets kindly include the lyrics
and usually in English and Japanese.

> 	So I ask, is it that they are supposed to sound better or what?
> I would like to see the US Boxed set just to compare art and typographical
> layout (yeah I'm one of those people) and the photos included in the
> little albumn that was on top of the anthology..

I don't think there was any agreement that the Japanese version sounded
superior to the UK version.  It is generally agreed the import CDs sound
better than their US counterparts, however, you won't be able tocompare
your boxed set with the US set because there isn't one.  It was a UK and
Japanese release only with UK made sets also being sold in Canada.

Also, be aware the US CDs do not have the lyrics anymore, and the UK boxed
sets had no biographical notes nor lyrics for the TWW I and II CDs.
The cover of TKI in the Japanese set is different to the UK set.  The UK CD
has the Kate in a Kite cover.

The UK set has been out of print now for quite a while.  So, the Japanese
set is all there is.  Enjoy it!

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                                            Dept. of Biology
dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu                           San Diego State University