Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: EXPERIMENT IV - LYRICS?????

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 93 13:39:40 -0500
Subject: Re: EXPERIMENT IV - LYRICS?????
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jeff Marold aks:

>I hope there is answer to this, the QUINTESSENTIAL Kate Bush question -
>in Experiment IV the lyric says "so they told us that they wanted a noise
>that would kill someone form a distance, so ............. ??????!!!!!!!!!

"So they told us
 All they wanted
 Was a sound that could kill someone
 From a distance
 So we go ahead
 And the meters are over in the red
 It's a mistake in the making..."

>I listened to the song ten thousand times and still cant figure it
>out.HELP!

The line about the meters drove me crazy for ages.  A friend of mine,
on the other hand, understood it the very first time he heard the song.

>PS. I remember hearing an eight minute or so version of the same song buy
>never found it in record stores . IDEAS?

There is an extended mix of the song that was available on the 12" single
for "Experiment IV."  It's out of print, though you might find it used
somewhere (I've found a couple of used 12" singles from HoL; dunno if
ExpIV would be harder to find).  The extended mix is also available on
disc II of the This Woman's Work box set.  It's really beautiful and features
Nigel Kennedy quite prominently.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka        | "Fairies are the perfect people to do this        |
|(suffering Bad Grammar) |  sort of work.  Biologically, their upper         |