Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello and Questions

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 93 22:36:17 EST
Subject: Re: Hello and Questions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

dambik@fnalc.fnal.gov writes:

>Thanks for the replies. I've gotten a few recommendations for Happy
>albums. (Speaking of religious issues) Favorites seem to be Ecto and
>Warpaint. Hard to choose -- I've seen Ecto, Warpaint, Rearmament, and
>RII (hmmm, interesting cover art) at my favorite indie/alternative/
>mom-and-pop record store.

?? What store is that?

>So far, no definitive answer on the mystery Kate release right after
>TSW. I think it might have contained odds-and-ends that hadn't made
>it onto TSW. Any guesses anyone? (Help out a restless fan who can't
>afford a box set?)

It must have been a bootleg, because she didn't have any offical
releases after TSW other than Rocket Man and the Box Set.

>Vickie, I was disappointed to find I can't pick up WZRD. 100 watts!

Bummer. Only about 5 people listen to it anyway...:-(

> What's your play list like?

Off the top of my head, not in alphabetical order:

Kate Bush, Jane Siberry, Happy Rhodes, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan,
Eddi Reader, Victoria Williams, Sheila Chandra, Capercaillie,
Shelleyan Orphan, Single Gun Theory, Caterwaul, Psychowelders,
Loreena McKennit, Iris De Ment, Toni Childs, The Shakers, 10,000
Maniacs, Grace Darling, Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Bel Canto,
Carmel, Love Spirals Downward, The Sundays, Lush, Julia Fordham,
Mary Margaret O'Hara, Suzanne Vega, Eleftheria, Elli Paspala, Haris,
Barbara Gosza, Ulla Meinecke, Alice, Downy Mildew, Dalbello, Neneh
Cherry, Arson Garden, Maestro Subgum & the Whole, Pamela Golden,
Heidi Berry, Mary Coughlin, kd lang, Area, Shona Laing, All About Eve,
June Tabor, Clannad, Steeleye Span, Peacock Palace, Rainbirds, Zap Mama,
Astrid Hadad, Tish Hinojosa, Danielle Dax, Lene Lovich, Diamanda Galas,
Anna Domino, Anna Palm, Anne Pigalle, Hex, Creatures, Siouxie & the
Banshees, Moon Seven Times, Michelle Shocked, Macalla, Sandy Denny,
Enya, blackgirls, Kirsty MacColl, Sylvia Woods, Maddy Prior, Marianne
Faithful, Nico, Deux Filles, Collection: D'arnel~Andrea, Maire Brennan,
Ingrid Karklins, Caitlin Von Schmidt, Big Hat, Exene Cervenka, Myra
Holder, Mouth Music, Waterlillies, Marta Sebestyen & Muzikas, P.J
Harvey, Fernanda Maria, Mercedes Sosa, Hetch Hetchy, The Sundays,
Everything But the Girl, Concrete Blonde, Lida Husik, Chaba Zahouania,
Adult Net, Aster Aweke, Josephine Baker, Edith Piaf, This Mortal Coil,
Grace Jones, Asha Boshle, The HeartThrobs, Julee Cruise, Najma, Sally
Oldfield, Cranes, Meryn Cadell, Hugo Largo, Loey Nelson, Toyah, Ana
Christensen, Mari Boine Persen, Christine Lavin, Sonya Hunter, Brenda
Kahn, Lisa Germano, Miranda Sex Garden, Fairground Attraction, Shawn
Colvin, Laurie Anderson, Virginia Astly, Iva Bittova, Roches, Gabrielle
Roth, Nona Hendryx, Becky Hobbs, Indigo Girls, Penelope Houston, Dagmar
Krause, Wendy MaHarry, Lotte Lenya, Lava Hay, Sam Phillips, Mathilde
Santing, Yma Sumac, Throwing Muses, Robin Holcomb, Tom Tom Club,
Shoba Gurtu, Sugarcubes, The Telling, Innocence Mission, Sonny Southon,
Anita Lane, M'bilia Bel, Sona Diabate, Stella Cheweshe, Beautiful Pea
Green Boat, Dark Orange, Rickie Lee Jones, Banderas, Annie Lennox,
Kerri Anderson, Kimberly M'Carver, Kristen Vigard, Cindy Lee Berryhill,
Agnes Buen Garnas, Annette Peacock, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Wendy Wall,
Jevetta Steele, Tanita Tikaram, Bessie Smith, Voice of the Beehive,
Barbara Gaskin, Nina Hagen, Sonya Robinson, Gong, Blake Babies, Le
Mystere des voix Bulgares, Trio Bulgarka, Fetchin Bones, Maura O'Connell,
Laurie Freelove, Queen Ida, Queen Latifah, Dee Lite, Amanda McBroom,
Mariam Mekeba, The Shaggs, Akiko Yano, West India Company, Nina Simone,
Ethel Waters, Float Up CP, Rip, Rig & Panic, Varttina, Shakespear's Sister,
Ofra Haza, Heavenly Bodies, Amy Denio, Betty, Betty Boo, Ma Rainey,
Billie Holiday, Sara Hickman, Clara Rockmore, The Story, Tiny Lights,
Shelly Thunder, Maria McKee, Mazzy Star, Flying Lizards, Judie Tzuke...

among others...(I know I'm leaving out a couple of hundred)

In other words, all female vocals.

Soon (in March) it will be my 5th anniversary of Suspended in Gaffa.
(5 years in Kansas City-it still airs there-and 2 1/2 years in Chicago.)