Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: astrology

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Scorpii)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 93 17:36:48 GMT
Subject: Re: astrology
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <9301261203.AA07054@kino.intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de> uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes:

[Fascinating discussion of why astrology is silly]

>Uli

>P.S.: I don't have problems with you if you believe in astrology. You have.

Now wait a minute.  I'm glad you decided to post that intriguing argument
against astrology, merely on an intellectual level...but I happen to find
that P.S. inordinately offensive.

I am an agnostic who finds astrology quite interesting (as evidenced by
my .sig), but I couldn't accurately say that I believe in it.  However, if I
did, what would be to stop me from detailing all the arguments against
Christianity and condemning believers in that religion as having "problems?"
Or simply insert any religious, or philosophical, belief in that sentence
for "Christianity", even atheism, since there are arguments against that as
well.  Hopefully it's obvious that your P.S. is not only arrogant, it is
also mightily prejudiced.

Please do us a favor and keep the intellectual content while losing the
personal remarks, OK?  Astrology may very well be silly, and so may
Christianity, but I hardly think it becomes us to imply that others are
inferior because they believe something that we do not.  Whether it's true
or not, courtesy should keep our anti-preaching in check.

And isn't this a music newsgroup anyhow?

Drewcifer
** Andrew David Simchik, registered Scorpio ************* SCHNOPIA! *******
as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu