Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sTuff

From: a virtual stranger <REWOICC%ERENJ.BITNET@pucc.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 92 15:07:41 EST
Subject: sTuff
To: love-hounds <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine) sez:
>A couple nights ago, I stepped backwards one track to the beginning of
>_The Fog_ and the laugh was included!

the laugh is not included on the "love and anger" promo cd single. nor is
it on the official single either, as i recall. not that this means any-
thing, as vickie correctly pointed out.

i've always felt that it belonged with "the fog" since it's a nervous
laugh...which syncs up better with someone learning to let go ala the
protagonist of "the fog."

vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes) sez about "reaching out":
>emotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotion

tritetritetritetritetritetritetritetritetritetritetritetritetritetrite

i'm all for sappy songs, but "reaching out" just doesn't cut it; much
in the same way that r.e.m.'s "everybody hurts" doesn't cut it: both
are trite and cliched beyond belief.

>Why does everybody seem to dissect this song? Feel it.

i hesitate to say that i expect more lyrically from KaTe than what this
song has to offer - i am in no position to demand from her my expectations.
however, that is the case. i would think that KaTe could write a more lyr-
ically exciting and challenging song about the same themes. i'd feel it
if she said it better.

same goes for "between a man and a woman." such a cliched title too. blech.

stev0 summed up _the sensual world_ well: a mish mash of themes and styles
which tends to throw listeners for a spin if they are expecting the usual
KaTe-theme-thing. as with every other mish-mash album, there are good and
not so good songs (zb. _lionheart_). good is subjective and that's really
the end of the story (excepting the technical issues, of course, which we
leave for god's personal dj).

_the sensual world_ is a good intro to KaTe - it shows her talents, but
it doesn't make everything else that she has done look pale in comparison.

for those who are keeping score, my faves off of _the sensual world_ are
"the fog," "heads we're dancing" and "this woman's work." "walk straight
down the middle" would be one, except that it's really a bonus track.

Kimberly Stauffer AMSTE-LGS 4900 <kstauff@APG-9.APG.ARMY.MIL> sez:
>Is (kate,or the songs character) supposta be under ice, as in out at
>a skating pond and the person went under the ice into the water or?
>Is the person out at sea/on the water and just sick of being there??

i'm not sure that the circumstances are that important. KaTe has said
that _the ninth wave_ was about a person "in the water overnight." i
would assume that this implies a victim of some kind of boating acci-
dent at sea. however, it's not the water that's important - it's the
thoughts that occur to the character as she struggles to survive.

woj