Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh boy! TSW flamewar brewing!

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: 3 Dec 1992 06:22:17 -0800
Subject: Re: Oh boy! TSW flamewar brewing!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Just to add yet another opinion (in this case, the correct one), of TSW:

I like it.  I really, really like it.  But unlike any other of Kate's
works, it does not have any sort of thematic whole.  It's just a bunch
of songs (albiet good ones) strung together.  So we have to take this
one in a song-by-song basis (here's the Reader's Digest version):

Great songs: Sensual World, Love and Anger, Deeper Understanding,
Rocket's Tail (anyone disagreeing with this one can step outside...),
and, of course, This Woman's Work

Good songs: Reaching Out (even if it is the Kate Song most likely to
be covered by Niel Diamond), Heads We're Dancing (lyrically, Kate's
all-time dumbest song, but catchy as hell.)

OK songs: Between a Man and a Woman, Never Be Mine (biggest waste of
Trio Bulgarka

Lame songs: The Fog (a Ninth Wave outtake), Walk Straight Down the
Middle.

If anyone's interested, I can say how I arrived at the above, but
just remember anything anyone says here is JUST OPINION.  Except
for Jon Drukman, of course, who's word is LAW.

Oh, I almost forgot, ALL the videos for this one suck rocks.  But
then, almost all her videos (except the HoL-era ones) do, but that's
the subject for another thread.

- Stev0 the carton of spite

--
Steve Berlin    .     +I * .o   o.* ` `B +.   |"I just know that something
stev0@sti.com  ' K *  . ' ' |\^/|  `. * .O *  |good is gonna happen!"