Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Reaching Out/Heads

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: 3 Dec 92 05:39:44 GMT
Subject: Re: Reaching Out/Heads
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:

>Addressing two previous points:

>1.) Why I don't like "Reaching Out".

>	I do like it, actually, but I find it to be kind of lacking in
>Kate's usual melodic inventiveness.  I mean, the verse is a pretty straight
>descending line, and the refrain, while appropriate to the lyrics, is fairly
>straightforward also.  Perhaps this explains why I find it one of my least
>favorite songs on the album.  I also think the way its ideas are expressed
>lacks Kate's customarily well-crafted poetry.  It's not a bad song, just not
>a great one.

emotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotionemotion

Why does everybody seem to dissect this song? Feel it.
I do think it's a great song.

>2.) Why I do like "Heads We're Dancing".
>
>	The intro hooked me right away.  It locked me into this driving,
>devilish groove that fit the song perfectly.  Then the guitar came in, and I
>knew I would love it.  From there, it was just pure pleasure; remember this
>was my first Kate album, and this was one of the most unique songs I had
>ever heard.
>	I still like this song a lot.  The lyrics do express an interesting
>theme, that the outwardly innocuous may blossom (bad metaphor, sorry) into
>something monstrous, that what may appear to be a gentleman on the dance
>floor could in fact be a demon in formal dress.  I've heard many people say
>they dislike HWD; I have yet to hear any good reasons from them
>to dislike it, or any reasons at all for that matter.

I didn't say I disliked it, I just said I didn't love it. I do like it,
but it's my least favorite on the album, if I had to rank the songs.
The only part of the song I *do* dislike is the "do do do do dos" but
I can handle 'em, 'cause I like the rest of the song.

To Gord: Wouldn't *you* laugh after having just gone "yeahhhhhh"? If not,
why *would* you laugh before "The Fog"? I don't care how the CD is
programmed. I have never understood why people used that as the
almighty gospel for deciding where the laugh goes.

Vickie