Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Reaching Out/Heads

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 92 01:54:52 GMT
Subject: Reaching Out/Heads
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

Addressing two previous points:

1.) Why I don't like "Reaching Out".

	I do like it, actually, but I find it to be kind of lacking in
Kate's usual melodic inventiveness.  I mean, the verse is a pretty straight
descending line, and the refrain, while appropriate to the lyrics, is fairly
straightforward also.  Perhaps this explains why I find it one of my least
favorite songs on the album.  I also think the way its ideas are expressed
lacks Kate's customarily well-crafted poetry.  It's not a bad song, just not
a great one.

2.) Why I do like "Heads We're Dancing".

	The intro hooked me right away.  It locked me into this driving,
devilish groove that fit the song perfectly.  Then the guitar came in, and I
knew I would love it.  From there, it was just pure pleasure; remember this
was my first Kate album, and this was one of the most unique songs I had
ever heard.
	I still like this song a lot.  The lyrics do express an interesting
theme, that the outwardly innocuous may blossom (bad metaphor, sorry) into
something monstrous, that what may appear to be a gentleman on the dance
floor could in fact be a demon in formal dress.  I've heard many people say
they dislike HWD; I have yet to hear any good reasons from them
to dislike it, or any reasons at all for that matter.

I'd divide TSW into the following groups of songs, with 1) being the best.

1.) The Sensual World, Love and Anger, This Woman's Work

2.) Heads We're Dancing, Deeper Understanding, Rocket's Tail, Between a Man
and a Woman

3.) The Fog, Reaching Out, Never Be Mine, Walk Straight Down The Middle

And, for the record, I haven't yet heard a Kate record perfect enough to be
my favorite.  I've been meaning to make a mix of the best Kate songs while I
wait to see if she'll finally produce an album worthy of that lofty
pinnacle.  It's not that I find her albums flawed; it's just that they
cancel one another out with their good/bad points, IMHO.

TKI: simple and beautiful (+), a bit poppy (-)
L: flowing and charming (+), some unremarkable songs and still no edge (-)
NFE: arty and magical (+), a bit light (-)
TD: powerful and masterfully written (+), a bit *too* much edge in places
(-)
HoL: epic and multilayered (+), not enough on Hol side and the edge was
softened (-)
TSW: lush, sweeping, and erotic, perfecy edge (+), some unremarkable songs and
	a bit too dismal (-)
TWS: mostly good choices (+), annoying juxtapositions (-)

Well, now that I've given my opinions to those who probably couldn't care
less, back to programming.

Drewcifer
* Andrew David Simchik, a.k.a. Drewcifer ***************  SCHNOPIA! *******