Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Reaching Out/Heads

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 92 19:18 CST
Subject: Re: Reaching Out/Heads
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1992Dec3.015452.20932@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> wrote:

>2.) Why I do like "Heads We're Dancing".
>
>	The intro hooked me right away.  It locked me into this driving,
>devilish groove that fit the song perfectly.  Then the guitar came in, and I
>knew I would love it.  From there, it was just pure pleasure; remember this
>was my first Kate album, and this was one of the most unique songs I had
>ever heard.
>	I still like this song a lot.  The lyrics do express an interesting
>theme, that the outwardly innocuous may blossom (bad metaphor, sorry) into
>something monstrous, that what may appear to be a gentleman on the dance
>floor could in fact be a demon in formal dress.  I've heard many people say
>they dislike HWD; I have yet to hear any good reasons from them
>to dislike it, or any reasons at all for that matter.

   If you get a chance, try to find the film _Hanussen_. This film stars
Klaus Maria Brandaur as a WW1 German soldier who sustains a head injury.
A side effect is the ability to see the future. I don't wish to give
away the plot, suffice to say that there is a scene in the film that
*directly* relates to the song.

   Kate has based several songs on films (WH, The Infant Kiss) and I
feel this is another.

                                Chris Williams
                                   chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu