Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Still more on the gay/straight issue

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 92 09:55:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Still more on the gay/straight issue
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9211112157.AA02266@hivnet.ubc.ca> you write:
>With regard to Jeffrey C. Burka's post:  who said anything about causation?
>Oh, I see.  You mean being gay leads one to like Kate rather than the other
>way around.  That kind of causation.  Okay.  Maybe.

EUREKA!  AT LAST, THE ANSWER FOR ALL THE FUNDAMENTALISTS!  KATE BUSH CAUSES
FAGGOTRY!  Oh.  Wait.  You don't agree with *that* sort of causation.

I *never* suggested that.  Nor did I ever suggest your other "kind of
causation."  Go back and read my post.  No, don't bother, I'll reprint it
for you.

>Correlation does not imply causation.

Read it a third time if you have to.

Many folks have commented that they no more gay KaTefans than straight
ones.  There.  We have correlation, at least to some degree.  "Correlation
does not imply causation." There.  We have no idea whether one thing causes
the other.  It could be a completely spurious correlation.  There are lots
of spurious correlations out there.  They just happen to exist for no
apparent reason whatsoever.

>I agree with Eric Walker's post

Pah.

>(sorry, I don't know how to copy the exact passages to refer to.  Can
>anyone tell me?)

It depends on your system and whether you're using usenet to read rec.music.
gaffa or e-mail to read Love-Hounds.  Ask your sysadmin (or someone else
on the same university system who might know).

>that we are drawn to acceptance and accepting people and
>are therefore drawn to Kate.

Or maybe we're just artfags with *REALLY* *GOOD* *TASTE IN MUSIC*.

Oh.  Wait.  I didn't mean to imply that any of the sensitive straight KaTefans
were artfags.  Of course, if they're drawn to acceptance and are accepting
people, they won't care.

Woj was right about one thing--you've never seen a Gaffa flamewar.  Ever
seen a red chair?  ;-)

>And I suppose if it is going to be discussed
>then here is the place.  But why?

Why?  Why the fuck not?  As if we really have anything better to talk about,
other than the thread on first KonTaKT.  Which seems to be an annual thing
anyway.  Not that I don't plan on writing about my first "Kate Bush"
album.

>What new revelations can we possibly come up with?

Well, up until my initial posting, I had no idea what other people's
experiences were in terms of the percentages of straight/gay KaTefans.
I now know that a bunch of other folks also have seen the same strange
phenomena.

>As for the food issue, obviously that was an example of how
>absurd I felt it was.

But *was* it that absurd?  Let's look at it in another light.  Would you
be surprised to find that a larger proportion of KaTefans are vegetarians
than the proportion amongst the general population?  I've no idea whether
or not that's true--I only know one vegetarian KaTefan and *lots* of
omnivores.  But it wouldn't surprise me too much.

>They had said, I believe, that they knew several straight men who
>liked Kate merely (or initially) for her looks.

There's nothing wrong with that, as long as the folks get beyond the initial
outward appearance.  I started listening to a-ha on the sole basis of the
video for "Take On Me."  In fact, I hated the song that accompanied the
video when I first heard it.  5 months later I bought the CD and it's been
one of my favorite albums for 7 years.  I don't think it's wrong that I
got into the album (not really the band; I've never heard any of their other
3 albums) on the basis of a *visual* and not aural experience.

>Oh, and I HATE KitKat bars. :-)

They were my favorite candy bar as a child.  I still like them, but tend
to buy other things when I'm hankering for chocolate-coated sugar shock.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |