Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

First Kate Experience, Sundays, Indigo Girls

From: mrubin@cs.umb.edu (Mark Rubin)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1992 05:12:54 GMT
Subject: First Kate Experience, Sundays, Indigo Girls
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nobody@ctr.columbia.edu

I'm listening to Wuthering Heights right now so excuse any mistakes as the
importance of this letter is second to the music :-). I like retrosepctive
threads like this too! OK, the first time I ever heard Kate was in September,
I believe, of 1990. I *really* liked "The Sundays" 1st album RW&A and the
Indigo Girls 1st album so asked her to copy them from her CD deck to tape. To
fill the extra space at the end (90 min tape) on both sides, she included some
Kate Bush songs. I guess she figured that whoever liked the prev. groups would
also enjoy the harmonies of Kate. I really get into emotional, melodic music
so I was hooked instantly.

The first songs of hers I heard (on The Sundays side) were,
Deeper Understanding - which I related to very much (sigh!), Wuthering Heights
(which gave me goosebumps) and The Man with the Child in His Eyes. Second
side (Indigo Girls) had This Womens Work. I found it
refreshing to come to know that the song I used to hum on the previews of
the movie was a creation of Kate's. Needless to say I ran out to get "The
Sensual World".

I'm sad to admit that I haven't picked up any more of her albums. But
have heard some songs from them so am not totally lost. I guess I get
depressed every now and then when I find out that I could have been listening
to these songs long ago, but failed to get them since I did not know who
she was. So i'm off tomorrow to get a few of them. Probably, Kick Inside,
Hounds of Love, Lioneheart?, The Dreaming?. Which do you recommend that I
start with... is the prev. order OK do you think, in progression?

I think Kate's music (the stuff I heard) is very wonderful,powerful,thought
provoking, and compels introspection. Along with Kate, I *really* enjoyed
BOTH albums from "The Sundays" and ALL of the songs from the Indigo Girls
1st album and most from successive albums. To me it seems that this music
has alot in comparison and is very powerful and uplifting (kinda). Do a lot
of you people also like "The Sundays" and "Indigo Girls" along with Kate? I'd
like to know this, because for me I loved this music the very first time I
heard it. For some reason it's hard to get sick of it, after a little break
I always find myself blasting it (as good as my puny stereo can output) over
and over again. Especially when I first heard it!

I'm hopefully going to see the Indigo Girls on Dec. 4 at Brandeis University.
I can't wait until The Sundays start to tour. I saw them 2 years ago at the
Citi in Boston, now Avalon I think. Hopefully Kate will tour as well, does
anyone have info on Kate or The Sundays?

What other kind of music, like the previous, do you think i'd like? I enjoy
Tori Amos and the 10000 Maniacs, but I just can't get into them like Kate,
The Sundays... and The Indigo Girls. Minus a few of the Indigo Girls songs
which just got a little to religiously oriented for me.

Well, I think this is enough for now, Thanks!

-Mark

--
Mark Rubin
mrubin@ra.cs.umb.edu