Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Innocence Mission

From: Tom_Theel@imd.sterling.com (Tom Theel)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1992 18:06:21 GMT
Subject: Re: The Innocence Mission
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@imd.sterling.com (News Admin)

In article <1992Nov5.182153.12068@morgan.ucs.mun.ca> kirsten@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Kirsten Starcher) writes:
>In article <1992Nov4.202513.4183@novell.com> bbaker@na.novell.com writes:
>>
>>If you like some subset of the following artists...
>>
>>Kate Bush
>>Tori Amos
>>Sarah McLachlan
>>Jane Siberry
>>Cocteau Twins
>>10,000 Maniacs
>>'Til Tuesday
>>

>>I would highly recommend checking out a group called
>>
>>   THE INNOCENCE MISSION
>>
>>if you can find their albums.
>>
>>The first debut album is very Tori-ish.  The second album sounds
>>like a cross between the 10,000 Maniacs and the Cocteau Twins, at least
>>to me.
>>
>>- Bako -
>
>Hmmm.  Interesting.  I got this album as a review copy for the student paper
>here, and didn't like it at ALL.  I couldn't understand a word the singer was
>saying.  All the songs sounded the same, and all but one or two seemed
>practically tuneless.
>
>I'm a big fan of Tori, Sarah, Jane, and Kate, too.
>
>Any other opinions?

I thought that The Innocence Mission album UMBRELLA was fantastic.  It
is more like The Sundays or Cocteau Twins (Treasure) than Kate or Tori.
The lead singer sounds like Natalie Merchant on some of the songs,
drawing comparisons to 10,000 Maniacs.

It is worth a few listens to give this album a chance to grow on you.
I think that anyone who likes The Sundays will really like this album.