Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: (no subject given!)

From: Jackie Zucconi <lionhart@netlink.cts.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 21:13:34 PDT
Subject: re: (no subject given!)
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

> > First time I saw this I immediately thought of the mendicant friars such
> > as the Franciscians, although they originally wore grey. Anyway the very
> > Christian overtone to the song never suggested Druids...and as far as
> > I've ever read the druid priests wore white...I don't think they're were
> > actually any priestess'...anyone have anthropological data?
> >                      Kateness,
> >                             Lionheart
>
> Now that you mention it, I do remember something about white robes. As
> for priestesses, wasn't Boudicca (spelling probably wrong, I'd have to
> check a book that's not with me right now), a Druidess? Not necessarily
> a priestess, I guess. But she was a leader of her people.
>
> What is the symbolism of the bow, in the context of the other elements
> of the Wogan performance? It is definitely not a Christian element, but
> was central to the imagery of the performance.
> ---
> scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us -- Stuart M. Castergine        ---
>                 I  still dream of Orgonon.                      |/
>                                                                 |\

 Actually it's Queen [B[C[C[C[C[C[C[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[A[A[A[A[A[A[A[A[
(line noise sorry) Queen Boadicea, she was a Celtic tribal leader (Gaelic
Celt) but not a priestess any more than Cu Chulainn was a priest. Digging
through my library I came up with two good books tha might help in this
matter. The Celts by T.G.E. Powell and The Druids by Stuart Piggott. It
would seem that Boadicea was a druid in the sense that that is what the
religion of her people was called but it doesn't seem to have been a
theocratic form of government for the celts.
As for the bow symbolism...your guess is as good as mine. I think Ron has
a quote from JC Bush about the bow bits of RUTH. I don't think Kate meant
the song to be overly christian, allowing her freedom of symbolism.
                     Kateness,
                            Lionheart

--
INTERNET:  lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)