Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: (no subject given!)

From: scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 03:42:18 -0500
Subject: re: (no subject given!)
To: gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu

> First time I saw this I immediately thought of the mendicant friars such
> as the Franciscians, although they originally wore grey. Anyway the very
> Christian overtone to the song never suggested Druids...and as far as
> I've ever read the druid priests wore white...I don't think they're were
> actually any priestess'...anyone have anthropological data?
>                      Kateness,
>                             Lionheart

Now that you mention it, I do remember something about white robes. As
for priestesses, wasn't Boudicca (spelling probably wrong, I'd have to
check a book that's not with me right now), a Druidess? Not necessarily
a priestess, I guess. But she was a leader of her people.

What is the symbolism of the bow, in the context of the other elements
of the Wogan performance? It is definitely not a Christian element, but
was central to the imagery of the performance.
---
scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us -- Stuart M. Castergine        ---
                I  still dream of Orgonon.                      |/
                                                                |\