Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(no subject given!)

From: Jackie Zucconi <lionhart@netlink.cts.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 92 20:50:03 PDT
Subject: (no subject given!)
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk writes:

> Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
> From: s.telford@ed.ac.uk (Scott Telford)
> Subject: re: Kate, Druids and Swallows
> Sender: cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk (UseNet News Admin)
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1992 12:07:20 GMT
>
> In article <a707ca5e@waltham.columbus.oh.us>,
> scasterg@waltham.columbus.oh.us (Stuart Castergine) writes:
> > I don't know what a Druid priestess is supposed to look like. All those
> > brown robes and things put the image in my mind. What was she supposed
> > to be?
>
> Well, when I saw (an n-th generation VHS dub of) this, I found it
> remeniscent of the second "In the Flesh" concert scene in the Floyd's
> "The Wall". Probably the lectern and KaTe's dramatic gestures, and the
> flags that did it. But didn't the choir in that scene wear strange
> black robes of some description?
>
> --
> Scott Telford, Service Division,          / "Can I assume you're pissed out o
> Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,      /  your head on 'Big Sky', on the n
> University of Edinburgh, UK.              /  album?" - Peter Swales,
> <s.telford@ed.ac.uk> - (+44 31 650 5978)  /  interviewing Kate Bush, 1985.

First time I saw this I immediately thought of the mendicant friars such
as the Franciscians, although they originally wore grey. Anyway the very
Christian overtone to the song never suggested Druids...and as far as
I've ever read the druid priests wore white...I don't think they're were
actually any priestess'...anyone have anthropological data?
                     Kateness,
                            Lionheart

--
INTERNET:  lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)