Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wow/Kashka

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 17:41:52 PDT
Subject: Wow/Kashka
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

Andrew Says:

>Andrew D. Simchik here:
>
>       I just bought a terrific book called "Kate Bush: A Visual
>Documentary" by Cann and Mayes from a local bookstore, and whether it
is a
>definitive source remains to be seen, but in any case, it contains the

>following quotes.
>
>Regarding "Wow!":
>       "...this actor has a problem: many successful performers are
gay,
>but some are too gay--'will never make the Sweeney, be that movie
queen.
>He's too busy hitting the vaseline'--which may hold your hair in place
but
>is better known from pre-Aids days as a sexual lubricant....For many
gay
>actors there is no place in the mainstream--we'll call you--'but don't
hold
>your breath.'"
>
>Regarding "Kashka from Baghdad":
>       "Kate is experiencing alienation again.  Cut off from the
laughter
>and love of two men, this time she is not alone in her joylessness.
The
>loving couple are shunned by old friends and never walk abroad in the
dark
>moonlit world.  There is"
>
>       This seems to be a good source primarily because the info is
cited
>as coming from a "phone-in" by Kate herself.  I think this clears
things up
>quite nicely.

        Thanks for posting these, but I think it's important to stress
that these are NOT quoting or even paraphrasing Kate.  These are
probably more the interpetations of the authors, and, as such, are no
more important to understanding Kate's intentions then are any one
else's interpetations.  The "phone in" is probably the 1979 personal
Call interview, which does not say much of the things these quotes say.

        That said, the book is about the best of the Kate Bush books,
but, like most things relating to Kate, has quite a lot to do with the
author's own interpretations of things.

        Here are the quotes I have for those two songs:

Kashka from Baghdad

*       Well, "Kashka From Baghdad" that actually came from a very
strange American Detective series that I caught a couple of years ago,
and there was a musical theme that they kept putting in.  And they had
an old house, in this particular thing, and it was just a very moody,
pretty awful serious thing.  And it just inspired the idea of this old
house somewhere in Canada or America with two people in it that no-one
knew anything about.  And being a sorta small town, everybody wanted to
know what everybody what else was up to.  And these particular people
in this house had a very private thing happening.   (1979, Personal
Call)

        [Motions to instrument] what do you call it?
        PADDY: It's called a strumento da porco, that's it's real name,
or at least the name that Portoreas [???] gave it - he was a writer on
musical instruments in the seventeenth century.
        What do you use it for?
        PADDY: Well we use it for a number with an Islamic flavour to
it called "Kashka From Baghdad".  And it sounds like a santour which is
traditional Arabian instrument played with hammers, just slightly.
(1979, Kate Bush On Tour)

Wow

        "Wow" is a song about the Music Business, not just rock music
but show business in general, including acting and theatre.  People say
that the music business is about ripoffs, the rat race, competition,
strain, people trying to cut you down, and so on, and though that's all
there, there's also the magic.  It was sparked off when I sat down to
try and write a Pink Floyd song, something spacey; though I'm not
surprised no-one has picked that up, it's not really recognisable as
that, in the same way as people haven't noticed that "Kite" is a Bob
Marley song, and "Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake" is a Patti
Smith song.  When I wrote it I didn't envisage performing it - the
performance when it happened was an interpretation of the words I'd
already written.  I first made up the visuals in a hotel room in New
Zealand, when I had half an hour to make up a routine and prepare for a
TV show.  I sat down and listened to the song through once, and the
whirling seemed to fit the music.  Those who were at the last concert
of the tour at Hammersmith must have noticed a frogman appear through
the dry ice it was one of the crew's many last night "pranks" and was
really amazing.  I'd have liked to have had it in every show.   (1979,
KBC 2)

*       Which have you most enjoyed recording, so far?
        Well, I think I there are probably two, for me.  I've really
enjoyed recording "Wow".  I'm very, very pleased with my vocal
performance on that, because we did it a few times, and although it was
all in tune and it was okay, there was just something missing.  And we
went back and did it again and it just happened, and I've really
pleased with that, it was very satisfying.    (1978, Lionheart Promo)

*       I am playing the part of a movie star and I suppose this lady
is quite sexy.  But I don't think it is shocking.
        The record is a bit of a send-up of a lot of things in showbiz.
        There are an awful lot of homosexuals in the business.  But
that is just an observation, not a criticism.   (1980, Wow)

        I had forgotten how beautiful the strings are on this track.
Andrew Powell's arrangement is so moody.   (C.1986, AVD)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA